Saturday, December 19, 2015

After Hours: Victor Murphy


What did you do to prepare yourself for the role of “Victor Murphy” in the series Codename: Danger?
The normal routine. I read the script, I rehearsed it over and over with my mirror, my wife, my kids, my mailman. The morning of auditions, I went in with a huge smile and as much confidence as I could muster and performed to the best of my ability. I had three callbacks and was told that I’d know the result by week’s end.

What’s surprised you the most about being selected for this role?
Uh…haha…the sex scenes or more specifically the topless scenes. Not even kidding. One of the stipulations in my contract was to keep my shirt on. I didn’t want to do nudity or anything in the role. I got the call from my agent telling me that they were considering me for the role and saw that line in my contract and it was pushing them to another actor, Gary Stone who had auditioned two days before me. So he goes ‘Vic, man, you have to reconsider your stance on the no nudity thing if you want to bag this role.’ I was still a little, you know, eh…this is something my kids and my family is going to see. Do I really want to show my ass to them and everyone else I know? So after really thinking it over I finally had to come out of my own ways and just go for it. Roles like this don’t come every day. The series lasted seven seasons and in that time I made some truly wonderful friends and learned so much about the business that I don’t think I would have had I continued to refuse. I’m very grateful for Codename: Danger.


What’s the biggest myth about playing a super spy character in Codename: Danger?
That the best spies have English accents. Just not true. Sorry James Bond. But I think I nailed the role without the accent. Haha. You don’t have to be an international hottie to make it as a badass secret agent! Plus, I look damned good all dressed up in that tactical gear!

What was the most challenging part about playing your role as “Victor Murphy”?
The stunts. Believe it or not I did a lot of them myself. I even learned to shoot with accuracy for believability even though we were using blanks. I really got into the role and worked hard to maintain my character’s authenticity.

What do you love about being an actor?
Everything! The travel, the art of working out different characters with different motivations and just…making it believable. I know a lot of people think what we do isn’t hard but that couldn’t be any further from the truth. This business isn’t for everyone. You can tell that by who makes it in Hollywood and who doesn’t. To become a great in the likes of Glenn Close, for example, takes a certain degree of talent, attitude and hard work. It’s not easy at all. 


How do you handle negative criticism and rumors?
I ignore it. That was one of the first things I learned coming into this business. They tell you not to respond to critics, good or bad, just don’t interact at all. It’s helpful advice. Because even if someone sincerely loves your body of work and want to tell you how much they enjoyed this movie/show/book whatever, that opens the door to what could become a potential dangerous rapport. You never know what’s lurking in the minds of fans. That would is short for ‘fanatic’ for a reason.

What is the first thing you notice about people?
Their attitude. You know right away if it’s someone you’re gonna want to make a lasting relationship with by the way they treat you. Like they say, first impressions are lasting. They are and I don’t let someone piss me off more than once. If you and I get off on a bad foot, chances are you’re not gonna be invited to any of my events or even my home ever again.

What was the last thing you ate?
This morning I had a sausage, egg and cheese croissant (homemade), with a side of bacon, homemade biscuits, potato hash and a cup of orange juice. 


Do you use sarcasm a lot?
No. I’m a pretty straight forward person. If I’m feeling a certain way about something I’ll be sure to let you know without all the cattiness.

What is your favorite lunch meat?
It’s a close tie between Italian Salami and Pastrami. But if I had to choose between the two, I’d go Pastrami, no question. I just like a Reuben sandwich more I think.

How do you spend your free time?
Cleaning. Haha. Kidding not kidding. Lots of maintenance because we live on a huge plot of land so dust and dirt gets EVERYWHERE. Kids track in the weirdest stuff. You’d be surprised. I don’t even know where half of the crap I find on my floors even comes from. Other than that I like to try and catch some games with friends or even go out for a drink or something every now and again.


Would you ever go bungee jumping?
Hell no! Absolutely not! I value my life and I’m 100% sane. You’d never find my ass on a plane talking about ‘Hey, I know what will be fun! Let’s jump some 15,000 feet out of the sky to our possible deaths!’ No thank you!

What is your favorite cereal?
Honey Smacks. Ever since I was a kid. I love Honey Smacks. If you came to my home you’d see my pantry is stocked with it!

Are you a beach, country or city person?
I’m a country boy through and through! I was born in Georgia and raised on a farm by my grandparents. I like the fresh air and space in that type of setting. It’s vastly and remarkably different than living in the city. A beach wouldn’t be so bad because you have the fresh ocean air there but nothing beats country living.


If you knew could you try anything and not fail, what dream would you attempt?
Music. I’m a HUGE music buff. Jazz, Blues, R&B, Hip-Hop, I love it all. And if I could, I’d learn the trumpet and follow in the steps of Louis Armstrong. If I had the voice I think I’d make a great musician. But I’ve been told that I shouldn’t step out of the shower singing. Leave it to the suds and the drain. 

How many speeding tickets have you received?
In my younger years…too many to count. But I suppose that’s normal? Right? That’s normal? Just learning how to drive and so you try and stretch your road legs. Kids are foolish like that. As I’ve gotten older though I’ve learned prudence and restraint. Maybe it’s because the tickets are paid out of my pocket now and not my grandparents but…I’m a little less of a furious road hog these days.


Were you ever afraid of monsters under your bed?
I don’t think so. I’ve always been a bit of a cynic, you know? If I can’t see it, touch it, taste it, I don’t believe in it.

Are you a 'morning' or 'night' person?
Ooh tough choice. While I do enjoy quiet mornings relaxing at home and it takes me very little time to awaken to the day, I think I much prefer nights. Or to be more specific early morning. You know that time around 2 am or so when everything is quiet and dark and you can just be yourself without the worries of the day. I don’t know. Everything just seems clearer after midnight.

Which languages do you speak?
English and Southern. What? It’s a language! I bet you I could say a word or phrase that people who weren’t born or raised in the south would have NO clue what it meant. So yeah, Southern is a language in itself!


What do you do on Sundays?
That varies throughout the year. Pre-football season I’m mostly doing lawn maintenance, especially in the summer. I swear the grass grows a foot a day at my house. I like to barbecue also so I’ll get together with friends and family and we’ll have a small cookout. Not every weekend but near bouts. I also like shopping. I think I get a lot of shopping done on Sundays. Grocery or just basic household demands like a trip to Home Depot to work on projects. When my kids were younger we used to do a lot of stuff, mostly on Sundays, like little builds around the house. Now football season you’ll find me at home on the couch with a beer in my hand and the game on the TV. And if you think for one second I’ll hear you or even acknowledge your presence you’re completely delusional. 


What are your hobbies?
I enjoy working a lot with my hands. Anything that needs to be fixed around my house, I take pride in doing myself. I’m also into mechanics so sometimes I’ll be out in the garage tinkering on random gadgets…just hope I don’t explode my engine one of these days. Sometimes the guys from the show and I will get together for little tag football games or pickup basketball. We stay pretty active. I do also enjoy reading. I’m currently on Cross Justice by James Patterson. It’s an Alex Cross novel where he returns home to help solve a murder that his cousin has been accused of committing.

Do you like your handwriting?
Yes. I’ve been told I have excellent penmanship. *Bursts into laughter.* Seriously though, it’s complete chicken scratch. Sometimes even I have trouble reading something and I wrote it! I don’t know how you develop into a style and just stick to it but I should maybe look into at least making my handwriting legible! 


Do you have any pets?
Unfortunately, my youngest has a pet dander allergy so no fluffy pets allowed in my home. We are the proud owners of a large tropical aquarium though.

What songs are included on the soundtrack to your life?
Oooh I like this question. Now if we’re talking instrumental, it would have to be anything by Coltrane, Miles Davis, Duke Ellington, Louis Armstrong, Fats Waller, and some Thelonious Monk. Vocally, give me some Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald, Dinah Washington, and Nina Simone and I’m in heaven! I’d walk around like John Slade from ‘I’m Gonna Git You Sucka’ with a theme song band playing behind me!

If you were reincarnated as an animal/drink/ice cream flavor, what would it be?
Animal, I’d go with elephant. They’re mighty and respected creatures and come with their own instruments. Drink. Hmm. Remy Martin XO cognac with one ice cube. And ice cream, I’d have to say Pistachio.


What is your first memory of being really excited?
That’s an easy one. After the loss of my parents, my sister and I went to live with my grandparents. I was 9, she was 5. My Nana did everything she could to make the farm feel like ‘home’ to us but no matter what she tried I was just sick you know. Homesick. I missed my house. I missed my parents. I missed my friends and just…everything. Back then I had this huge obsession with Transformers. 

I wore a football helmet on occasion that my Dad had helped me sort of paint up to look like Optimus Prime. And I’d pretend you know that I was Optimus. Come Saturday morning cartoon time I was glued to the set watching with awe and opened jaw at the action. Anyway, my grandpa had this old Pontiac Firebird that he loved more than life itself. It had been three months since we’d come to live with them and still I was in a bit of a funk. My grandpa traded in his car for some beat up Ford Pickup I can’t even remember what model.

Anyway he spent weeks in the garage just tinkering. Countless times he could be heard out there with different power tools just working on whatever he was working on out there. Nana told us to stay out of the garage because of the tools. She didn’t want us getting hurt. Five months had passed and I was coming up on my 10th birthday. 

The night before I heard this really loud engine crank that JOLTED me out of bed. My Nana took some doing but she finally got me back to sleep. The next morning, grandpa lead me outside and into the garage and when I tell you I was speechless…turns out grandpa converted that old Ford into a life sized…well almost…replica of Optimus Prime. 

It had real working lights, the engine cranked. He even went as far as to put in a tape deck that played sounds from the cartoon. Optimus would speak to you when you played the cassette. I was just completely amazed. The idea that he did that for me is still one of the best memories I have of him. I was lost and sad and he gave up something he loved to put a smile on my face.


If you could travel back in time, what ancient place would you like to go?
Uh…ok. I know the question is meant to be fun but if you seriously think about it, where would be a safe place to go for a black man back in ancient times? I don’t know. I’d like to think there are places where I wouldn’t be persecuted on sight but none that I can think of off the top of my head. Now if we’re putting prejudice aside, I’d really like to explore Egypt around 26 Century B.C. when the Pyramids were in production. Or even when Cleopatra was in rule. I’ve always had a fondness for the country. I’ve visited on three different occasions, taking my family for a little historical and educational vacation was one. I learned quite a bit about the people and culture of the time.

If you could be any character in fiction, whom would you be?
Fiction? Hmm. I guess the first reaction would be to say some sort of super hero or something huh? The great thing about acting though is I GET to be fictional characters and act out those desires. But…to answer the question. I guess I’d have to say Blade. Mostly so I can learn how to use a sword the way he did.

What is the worst feeling in the world?
A broken heart.


Do you have any closing words?
I’d like to thank my many fans, family and friends for their continued support!

Thank you for coming out to speak to us today!
It was a pleasure!

Stay tuned! There are more interviews to come with the cast of Codename: Danger!

6 comments:

  1. Aww his grandfather gets father of the year for what he did. :) That was sweet and amazing and just aww...

    He's Mr. Handy, love a guy that good with his hands. :D

    And he didn't want to do nudity...such a prude, but luckily the director worked with him and kept his scenes to a minimum. Maybe not so lucky for the fans.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep. Gregory Murphy was a wonderful man. I'm sure he's greatly missed by all that knew him!

      That's definitely Victor. I'm sure he has lots of um...talents that would win him a standing ovation O.o

      Yeah LOL he says that and then there's Simful. My oh my how far he's come!

      Delete
  2. He is still so super cute. Luvs him. ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Victor is a good man and truly humble and down to earth. It was a pleasure working with him.

      Delete
  3. That Optimus Prime story was magical. (There goes your creativity again!) I might just agree with Victor that Southern is a language. I love that he's both a family man and a man's man. Thank goodness he compromised on that no nudity clause in his contract. We would've really missed out. I just read the latest issue of Simful, so I'm talking from experience. O.O

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! He and his grandfather had a very close relationship.

      Southern is DEFINITELY a language. My Mom can definitely attest to that LOL.

      Haha I'm sure he'd love hearing how much you enjoyed seeing his um...tasteful spread in Simful :P

      Delete