Tuesday, January 21, 2014

After Hours: Derrick Constantine


What did you do to prepare yourself for the role of “Derrick Constantine” in the series Cold Blooded?
I stayed up all night reading the script so come the day of my audition I’d go in and shine. I didn’t want to have to rely on that tiny piece of paper and I wanted to know “Derrick Constantine” in and out completely. I embodied the man and vampire so much so that when I read the lines it was hard for the judges to tell where my real persona ended and the character’s began. Plus if that didn’t work I had a plan B: get completely naked to throw the judges off guard as I read my lines and tell them, ‘What? This is how vampires audition!’ I doubt they could have said no given the hypnotic effect my snake has.

What’s surprised you the most about being selected for this role?
The loss of my accent. As you can see it’s pretty thick and the character of “Derrick Constantine” is British yet he has lost his accent having lived in the states as long as he has. England for him has become somewhat of a proscribed subject as it’s a place of great loss. So when I went in for the audition I had to speak American and in order to do that I have to really stretch my mouth to pronounce words like you yanks. It looks like I have peanut butter stuck in my cheeks. Trust me it’s not as easy as I make it appear. 


What’s the biggest myth about playing a supernatural character in Cold Blooded?
Biggest myth? Hmm I guess I would say that as playing a vampire I have to constantly spread my lips so the fangs are shown on camera. That’s not the case with Cold Blooded. Thanks to the amazing talent we have in the makeup trailer, the cosmetic teeth we use are incredibly realistic, slip over your normal canines and show well on camera. They’re quite comfortable too. I remember as a child, playing up as a vampire on Mischief Night, Halloween as it’s called in the states, and having those awkwardly large plastic fangs that sat on top of your own. Aside from getting filled with saliva when you removed them, they were some of the most painful things ever and made it quite hard to close your mouth completely. One would have a permanent pout wearing them. Come Halloween youd have a bunch of sad vampires scurrying about!

What’s the most challenging part about playing the “bad guy”?
Bad guy? I wasn’t aware I played one. Alright I’d admit there are times where my character drives poor “Detective Victoria Carson” nearly mad but he does it with love. *Smiles* There’s nothing wrong really with a good ribbing every now and again. Aside from that I think “Derrick’s” intentions are completely innocent and he is just going about the tasks in a way to not only teach “Victoria” but to guide her through the challenges that pop up in their normal day-to-day. Although, there are some things happening soon that may appear to be “bad”, but you must understand “Derrick” has absolutely no ill will towards “Victoria”. In fact he’s growing to love her the more they interact and he sees her as this person who he can confide in and be himself around. She is unlike anyone he’s ever known before and he is trying desperately to get to know her better.


What seems to be the biggest obstacle for “Derrick Constantine”?
His ego. Derrick hates to lose, he hates hearing the word ‘no’ and he hates being made to feel like a monster. Regardless of knowing his friends for a while he often does things to hurt them even if it’s not his intentions purely to get back any feelings of vulnerability he may have. “Victoria” is the only one that seems to have the ability to tame him. Although his pride often has him eating his foot, he listens to her when she speaks and tries to get out of his own ways to make her comfortable around him. But let’s face facts; he’s a vampire, a soulless demon who despite all efforts to change that will always be a monster. And knowing that, he’ll have moments when he needs to act out his anger the only way he knows how, a good old fashioned slaughter!

Are there any spoilers you can reveal to us concerning “Derrick Constantine”?
For any one currently wondering if Victoria and Derrick ever finally hook up, let me just say it was one of the best scripts I’ve ever had the pleasure of reading. Though the on screen filming is WAY better. I may have messed up a few times just for the opportunity of retakes. My co-star is quite the performer. Also if viewers were at all curious about the man who Sired Derrick, he will be making an appearance very soon!


What do you love about being an actor?
That’s easy, the stuff! The thousands of pretty women I get to kiss without objection. Running naked through the streets and having people assume it’s just another celebrity having a mental breakdown and not being arrested. Hmm never having to pay full price for movie admission to AMC or Regal. Receiving free gifts and samples from major companies like Sony, Rolex, Gucci, Armani, Calvin Klein, AT&T, Adidas and Coca-Cola just to endorse their products. See what I did there? Bring on the samples!

How do you handle negative criticism and rumors?
There was a time in my career where I actually only read the hurtful comments because I felt that it helped me improve who I was. The fact that people cared enough to leave a comment, whether nice or nasty, shows they’ve at least took interest enough in your work to see it. Some remarks can be quite disheartening but I know who I am at the end of the day and I know what I’ve accomplished in my life and I can look back at it and be proud.


Where are you from?
Manchester, England, you fancy my accent? I’ve heard it’s quite the Female Kryptonite. It’s actually quite interesting watching some of my Mates chat up the ladies at an American pub. It’s not long before their knickers are dropping and it doesn’t even matter what they say. It’s just hearing it I guess with the elegant panache of James Bond.  

Do you have any siblings?
I have an older sister who lives in Canterbury with her three sons and spouse of ten years and a younger sister who moved to California once I got the role for Cold Blooded. She wants to try her hand at acting as well. My father remarried when I was twelve and from his second wife I have two half-brothers, twins, and a half-sister all still living in Manchester.

What are your biggest fears?
Ha! Blood and needles. Yeah. It was quite an interesting thing to be selected as lead role in a vampire series. I tell ya though it helped me see the world. Yeah as I found myself fainting for the 5th time, I swore the Eiffel tower was hovering above me. And as you may have seen, I have quite a few tattoos for someone with a fear of needles but the idea of them was just cool. I had an idea about what I wanted them to be as I went into the shops to get them done and they kind of took on a mind of their own but each one is quite sentimental in one way or the other.


Have you ever had your heart broken?
Yes I have and it’s not a pain I’d wish on my worst enemy. I think more than anything it was the way I had it broken. It wasn’t enough that I lost someone who I thought I’d be with forever but finding her with another guy also broke any trust between us. That I think is what was most painful.

What do your parents do?
My Mum is a librarian, more accurately she’s a Historian working at in an academic library preservation storage. She travels a lot and has been to places I cannot even pronounce and has had several articles and books published from her research. My father is a Bank Manager working in London. My Step-Mum is a Medical Administrator and my Step-Father is a Civil Engineer.

Boxers or Briefs?
Oh a little bit of both. I could show you if you’d like. *pats spot beside him*

Who was your first kiss?
Margaret Chancy, kindergarten. It was purely accidental, she had a smudge of chocolate on her face and me being a bit of a porker in my younger days I leaned over to taste it. Well Margaret turned her head and my tongue slipped into her mouth. It was actually quite enjoyable. It was like the chocolate river from Willy Wonka between her lips. The next time she kissed me, I made her eat a Hershey’s bar first. What can I say? I found something that worked.


What is your favorite form of exercise?
*Smirks* Uh…you really need me to answer that? I enjoy pushups. One handed, two handed, fingertips; and I can do them whether she’s there or not. But I suppose it’s much less expensive when she’s not. Honestly sex is the perfect calorie burner. You get to have a bit of fun while inventing new positions at the same time.

What chore do you absolutely hate doing?
Taking out the trash. Are you a fan of the Simpsons? There is this great episode where Homer takes the garbage to the curb and gets sprinkled with a bit of garbage water. That is the worst part about that chore. I imagine I’d appear as a frightened schoolgirl, screaming and hopping about when it touches me. I have to shower for hours even if it’s just a drop.


How do they get the deer to cross at that yellow road sign?
I imagine the government will select an average citizen to watch where deer cross most often. At which point a large truck is dispatched to the areas designated which are often by schools or bars. Have you ever noticed this is where most deer are killed? They are either too young and unaware of passing motorists or too drunk and stumbling into the street.


What would I find in your refrigerator right now?
Let’s see, bagels, orange juice, water, milk, wine, coffee creamer, left over pizza, a box of pancake batter, a half eaten roll of salami, cheese, condiments, two bags of salad and some week old sushi. There’s also a tin-foil surprise. I’m not sure if it’s fruit, veggie or meat and I’m not brave enough to see. Arm and Hammer to keep the odors away, a jar of strawberry jam, some pesto from last night’s dinner, butter, eggs, bacon, a third of a jar of Nutella, a pitcher of tea, two seasoned steaks I’m marinating for dinner and some hand-rolled chocolate and cream Cannoli for dessert.


What was the best thing before sliced bread?
That’s such a funny expression. But I’d have to say heated blankets, fluffy socks and chocolates. Ladies if this interests you, ring me up! I have plenty to go around. Incidentally why was sliced bread such a big hit? Were people actually making whole loafed sandwiches? Or were they not able to comprehend the ability to use a knife to make the pieces smaller rather than ripping it with their hands?

What did you have for breakfast?
Two slices of bread, toasted with ham, eggs and strawberry jelly, a glass of freshly squeezed orange juice, and a blueberry muffin.


What is the most embarrassing situation you have had?
There are a few that I still cringe about. Hmm there was this one time in my teens I was out with some friends at Honest, this burger place in London, with a bunch of friends including a girl I’d been crushing on since I was 10. She was sitting at the table beside me talking to her friends whilst I and mine were chatting it up close by. Knowing she was able to see me I was trying my damndest to not be messy while I ate and keep my shirt clean but of course a huge piece of bacon covered in ketchup fell on my pants. Acting as casually as possible, I flicked it off and it landed on her! She glanced over at me and I could feel my face turn as red as the bacon bit on her pants. She got up to excuse herself to the ladies room and came back about 10 minutes later with a huge splotch on her thigh. I’m still slightly mortified about it to this day.


What are your favorite alcoholic drinks?
I thought this interview was only an hour long. We actually have time to go through the list?


What time would you visit if you had a time machine?
Wow there are just so many, where do I start? First I’d like to go back to the days of real cowboys who made a living playing poker. Dressed in the best outfits with more ladies than I could handle and high noon shootouts. Then I’d like to go to the 60s where the music was just fantastic. I would see live concerts of Jimi Hendrix, The Doors, Janis Joplin, Moody Blues, Frank Zappa, Pink Floyd and tons more. Also it might be fun acting as one of those long haired hippies, flashing peace signs and saying “righteous” or “far out” without being seen as peculiar and experiencing all that ‘free love’! Third, I think it would be really cool to go back in time to crucial moments in history and record them; my Mum would really get a kick out of that. Lastly I would go back to the moment right before I first fell in love and tell that idiotic optimist what a fool he’s being and to run in the other direction. You know if you’re looking for ideas for Cold Blooded, refer to this answer! I’m sure Derrick and Victoria would enjoy some historical past events.

How many close friends do you have?
Five. No not Rosie Palm! Two are chums I’ve known since childhood. I have many acquaintances but just five friends who know me best.


Which ancient place would you like to go?
The Colosseum of Rome for an evening of gladiatorial combat.

Shaved or furry?
Is that really a question or are you putting me on? For women, I’m not picky. I don’t expect them to go through the grueling task of shaving themselves and maintaining the ‘perfect’ image as dictated by men. Women are beautiful however they choose to be. As for myself, I’m a bit furry as you can see. I think men without hair are not men at all.

If you were written about in the newspaper, on the front page, what would the headline say?
“Bad Boy Actor Caught with Pants Down” or if it were a really fun night “Bad Boy Actor, Naked Drunken Disorderly at Starbucks”.


If a genie granted you three wishes, what would you wish for?
Kate Upton‘s phone number, Kate Upton naked in a tub of whipped cream and Kate Upton bouncing topless in my lap.


If Hollywood made a movie about your life, whom would you like to see play the lead role as you?
Gerard Butler. Of course he’d have to bulk up for the role!


What is the most important thing you've accomplished in your career?
Having the chance to give back. Since I’ve “made it” I’ve been fortunate enough to afford sizeable charitable contributions. I’ve even started a few of my own, Green & Clean, Bucks for Babies and Habitat Help. My fame has allowed me the opportunity to get these important messages across the world and since their conception each organization has grown into an international success.

If you were a salad, what kind of dressing would you have?
Something zesty like Italian but sweet like Balsamic.

What's on your screen saver?
I don’t actually have a screen saver. Though if I did, I’d have a great, big picture of my smiling mug!

What are your favorite magazines?
Maxim, Men’s Health, Sports Illustrated and National Geographic.

Who is your favorite musician?
John Legend.

If you had only six months left to live, what would you do with the time?
Live! I’d visit every country I could, sleep with as many different woman as possible, have a few kids to leave my legacy. Eat foods that I always said I’d try, do the daredevil feats that always scared me. And make up with anyone seeking my forgiveness.

What is your favorite color?
Blue, like the color of your eyes. That usually works haha but I see yours are brown.

Do you speak a foreign language?
Yes quite a few. French, Italian, Spanish and German.


What was your first vehicle?
A 1984 Vauxhall Astra 1300, shit brown. It was my baby though. I would hide it when girls came about but it was a good car. I learned to drive in it and passed my driving test the first time out.

What is your least favorite smell?
Morning breath!

How many rings before you answer the phone?
It depends on who’s calling. If it’s someone I don’t want to speak with at the moment I’ll let it go to voice. Otherwise I don’t know really, never counted. I guess it really actually depends on how far away I am from the phone. Let’s for argument sake say four.

Who or what has been the biggest influence on your career?
My Mum; she taught me the value of good research and I use it to this day with every role I land. Nothing tops knowing who your character is inside and out to make the movie and thereby your acting that much more impactful.

Do you like storms?
I love storms! They are my favorite weather occurrence. That and just rain. I don’t know, something utterly soothing about them. Plus it reminds me of home. It always rains back home.

Have you ever slept with a co-star?
Yes. I’ve made quite a few friends of them as well. The ones from my current series, Cold Blooded, Victoria, Mike and Cole and I hang out after all is said and done. We relax and kick back after the shooting is over and watch the series together. It’s funny listening to them complain about their characters too. You’d be shocked to learn, or maybe not, that Victoria was ITCHING to get to the Derrick/Vik make out scenes. And here I thought she was repulsed by me!


How fast can you recite a tongue twister?
Time me. Denise sees the fleece. Denise sees the fleas. At least Denise could sneeze and freed and fleeze no feed and freeze the fleas. SHIT! Let me try a different one. Uh, Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers. A peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked. If Peter Piper picked a pick, a peck of pickled pippers, peppers, where's the peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked? Bloody hell! This is a bit of a job! One more, I can read this one? Not that it’ll do me any good. Alright, uh… Ed Nott was shot and Sam Shott was not. So it is better to be Shott than Nott. Some say Nott was not shot. But Shott says he shot Nott. Either the shot Shott shot at Nott was not shot, or Nott was shot. If the shot Shott shot shot Nott, Nott was shot. But if the shot Shott shot shot Shott, then shot was Shott, not Nott. However, the shot Shott shot shot not Shott - but Nott. So, Ed Nott was shot and that's hot! Is it not? What? That’s confusing as all hell innit? The shot that Nott shot was shot by Shott? Can’t these blokes have better names than this? Shott was shot by his own shot? Oh bugger!

If you could be any character in fiction, whom would you be?
James Bond.

Do you eat the stems of your broccoli?
Is it my imagination or are there a lot of food related questions in this interview? You know if you’re hungry I can take you to dinner. Or better still, we could eat in. And to answer the question, yes, broccoli is mostly stem isn’t it?

What's under your bed?
Possibly lint and sometimes my dog Ranger; otherwise I keep it fairly clean. I’m a pretty organized kind of guy. Hard to believe I know but I don’t go for the whole “bachelor pad” thing. I feel that if I were to bring a lady back to my home, I’d want her to be impressed not feel so disgusted the night would end tragically for the both of us. By that I mean her horrific spill onto the hardwood floor after slipping on an old pizza slice left beside the Chinese take-out box on the staircase. Not speaking from personal experience. Just… theorizing.

What is the first thing you think of when you wake up in the morning?
Sex and breakfast, and not always in the order.

Where would you go for your dream vacation?
Some place rich in natural history. Rome or Greece or Egypt. 


Do you have any closing words?
“Cool Whip”, “What the Deuce?”, “Delightful” and “Spot of Tea”. And just so the readers don’t think me batty, my lovely interviewer asked that I say a few ‘British’ words and imitate Stewie Griffin from Family Guy. She kept poking until I submitted. Look at her! She’s laughing her arse off! Come on do we really sound like that to you yanks?

Yes. Just like Americans sound like Texans or Rednecks to Brits.
Well bus mah britches! Cletus, ya git yer tail down offen dem fenceposts afore Farmer Dan comes ‘round wif his shotgun again! Took Maw half a day to pull dem buckshots from yer rear end the last time! Itsun why ya got all dem holes in yer trousers!

That was good!
Well I am an actor. I take my work very seriously.

Well Congratulations to Cold Blooded on their first year anniversary and hopefully here’s to many more!
Cheers!

10 comments:

  1. Yummy Derrick. Yep my knickers would be around my ankles no time flat hahahahaha

    And who in their right mind would cheat on Derrick? That was fun and happy anniversary :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Derrick would have a fun time getting them there too :P

      I KNOW! How awful is that? Whoever that chick was she needs her head examined for sure!

      Thank you!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Accent - 2, Panties - 0! How many more will lose?

      Delete
  3. *raises hand & waves frantically* Pick me!

    I agree. That was lots of fun spending time with the ever-charming Derrick. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Even behind the scenes he has a way about him! And I can only imagine how much play he gets with that accent and his charismatic personality :)

      Delete
  4. "You’d be shocked to learn, or maybe not, that Victoria was ITCHING to get to the Derrick/Vik make out scenes." <-- Aha! I knew it! James Bond ... of course. Who else would he be? :P

    Hey, I don't know if I ever said Happy Anniversary to you and the cast of Cold Blooded. Congrats, and thanks for all the great reading material! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! Yeah she might act coy but behind the scenes she was bursting with anticipation! James Bond would suit him...hmm I wonder if they'd cast him as the next :P

      Thank you! And here's to many more :D

      Delete
  5. This is so silly fun ^_^

    Frightened School Girl *LOL* I liked the blue eyes bit too *LOL* funny

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes :D I enjoy peering into their minds! Although sometimes, it could be scary!

      Haha he should know his audience a little better before trying that flirt! But it still made for a funny moment!

      Delete