Tuesday, February 25, 2014

After Hours: Kaya Villalobos


What did you do to prepare yourself for the role of “Kaya Villalobos” in the series After Midnight?
I called over one of my best friends and we binge watched every werewolf series we could get our hands on. I wanted to get my mannerisms right as far as how a werewolf walked and how a werewolf presented itself. And then I realized it was a bad idea when I watched some of the auditions before me. I think everyone else had the same notion I had and so to stand out from the others, I went completely against the “normal” werewolf traditions and what do you know? It’s what got their attention!

What’s surprised you the most about being selected for this role?
Being selected for this role! There were some amazing actresses who came out to audition for the chance to play “Kaya Villalobos” on screen. And compared to some, I hesitate to mention names, but I wasn’t as experienced as a few. It shocked me when I got the call but I couldn’t be more grateful! This has been an amazing experience and I have had a great time working with the cast and production teams.

What’s the biggest myth about playing a supernatural character in After Midnight?
That we all have to be animal lovers. I mean most of the cast are, but there are a few who aren’t really fond of their wolf counterparts. Whether it stems from personal childhood traumas or not they prefer doing their scenes with a green screen than having to work with the animal actors on set. Personally though, I can’t get enough of Sabrina, the American Gray Wolf who portrays my character when things get a bit “hairier.” Shes such a lovable pooch!


What’s the most challenging part about playing the “protagonist”?
Walking the line of morality. You have “good guys” doing bad things in order to protect what’s theirs. You have “bad guys” being nice to the good guys, all of course with a hidden agenda. And then you have the truly innocent victims, the good guys who just want to keep their loved ones safe and live happily but finding hurdles that are harder to get over every time. I think “Kaya Villalobos” is the kind of “good guy” who knows you gotta break a couple of eggs to make an omelet. She’s accepted that about herself but more importantly she’s accepted that about her mate “Caleb Savage”. This season should be interesting as far as seeing just how far Kaya is willing to go to prove she’s a Savage and defend her territory.

What seems to be the biggest obstacle for “Kaya Villalobos”?
In terms of the story I’d have to say at this point it’s her heart in relation to her family. There have been moments when she has had to make judgment calls but her family, believing they were doing what’s right for her, have hurt her in ways that no one else could. She loves them and because of her love for them makes the mistake of not treating them as she needs to in order to make herself whole again. Instead she gives it time and forgives them which is ok, but she’s not allowing herself a real grieving period in my opinion. I think all of that will come back to bite her in the ass.


Are there any spoilers you can reveal to us concerning “Kaya Villalobos”?
Well what I will say is the fans are in for a thrilling ride. This season is action packed and exploding with secrets. There are a few surprises ahead including old characters making reappearances so stay tuned!

What do you love about being an actress?
The freedom of expression. It’s crazy to think of what one could get away with by claiming “artistic expression” but you can be a doctor one day and a totally different character the next. I love building upon that. My most favorite genre is suspense. When I did my first horror movie, I really enjoyed being the person I’m always yelling and cussing at in that genre. You know the girl that runs upstairs instead of out the door or hides in a closet breathing noisily when the killer is right outside. I actually laughed when I did the running through the woods scene and had to fall on my ass. It took 32 takes to get it right before I stopped myself from a giggling fit. I could tell the director was getting a little frustrated with it. But it is a really funny thing! Although it heightens the suspense that whole “Oh man killer’s coming watch her trip and fall” thing is so played out it’s just become cliché; you can’t help but laugh.


How do you handle negative criticism and rumors?
I don’t at all. I’m a very sensitive person and I really take it to heart. It’s sad to say I have the thinnest skin for negativity. I try not to but you hear it enough it gets harder to take but easier to brace yourself against. No one can truly say they don’t care what someone says about them because it’s just a natural human thing to do; seek for acceptance. I can say that I’m getting better at it the more I’m exposed to the public.

What was your first job?
In high school I worked part time at a place called Telecom where I sold cell phones and plans. My main goal was to update analog customers to digital phones and offer them a new phone to go with it. The new phone was 10% commission for each one sold. So ok, it’s high school, it’s a job I wasn’t taking seriously and so there were things I did that today seem rather unscrupulous. But, in order to make more spending money, I would sell and send phones to customers even if they refused my offer. I would mark their accounts as a sale and collect the commission. I know, totally bad thing to do but I was a kid!

What book are you reading now?
Dark Witch by Nora Roberts. I love Supernatural stuff, obviously, and it sounded interesting when I was looking through books to download on my Kindle about a week ago. But it wasn’t at all what I was hoping for. It’s the first in a trilogy so there’s a lot of developments happening but her characters seem very similar to ones from her Three Sisters trilogy. It’s a slow read and at this point I’m not sure if I’ll even finish it. 

Do you live in a house or an apartment?
A house on the beach with a nice ocean view.


What are your biggest fears?
Insects, any and all. Just thinking about those creepy, crawling little monsters makes me itch! Blech!

Have you ever had your heart broken?
Jimmy Masters, Sadie Hawkins Dance, 6th grade. He was my BIGGEST crush and I was a bit of a nerd in middle school so I took an enormous risk asking him to be my date. But my Dad taught me to always follow my heart and unfortunately it just didn’t pan out for me. Thanks Dad!

What do your parents do?
My dad’s a retired insurance salesman and my mom is a caterer. She and my dad just opened their own business “The Cajun Spoon” and even have a truck to take to parks and sell their wares. The name of the truck is “The Cajun Car” – Home cooked Cajun cuisine on the go!

Do you have any siblings?
No, I’m an only child.

At what age did you become an adult?
Did that actually happen? Haha honestly I think I was old for my age at 10. I just always had that ‘old spirit’ they call it. But I’d like to think that there’s still a kid in me somewhere.



What’s the #1 most played song on your iPod?
Royals by Lorde – if it was a record it would be skipping by now!

Where are you from?
New Orleans, Louisiana.

What chore do you absolutely hate doing?
Hand washing dishes. My parents didn’t have a dishwasher growing up and it was always tough scrubbing the cheese and other stains off of the plates once it hardened. This is why when I got older a dishwasher was one of the first things I ensured my house had BEFORE I settled on buying. No more broken nails for me!

What do you miss most about being a kid?
The freedom to make mistakes. As an adult, you’re held accountable for the things you say and do and it’s even worse when you’re in the public eye. But as a kid you can kiss a boy on the playground and not worry about it making headline news in Zimbabwe or state an opinion to a friend without it upsetting one group or another.

What was the first thing you bought with your own money?
Shoes! Haha more specifically the Manolo Blahnik Fall collection, the Giuseppe Zanotti Spring collection, the Jimmy Choo Spring collection and the Christian Louboutin Fall collection. In total I have about 2,300 pairs of shoes.


What are your favorite foods?
I’m a HUGE fan of Indian cuisine. Spicy Aloo, Tandoori, Chicken Makhani, Chicken Biriyani, Mulligatawny Soup, anything Darjeeling flavored man I’m there! 

What are your favorite alcoholic drinks?
Wow there are so many how can I choose just one? I’m such a girly girl though when it comes to drinking. I like the pretty ones haha. Like Sea Breezes, Margaritas, Tequila Sunrises, Melon Balls and Daiquiris. But I love a good Mojito because they just taste so refreshing and light.

What's your zodiac sign?
Virgo; loving, susceptible, sympathetic, sensual, faithful, instinctive, charitable, over-reactive and moody. I’m part of a group of people known for our perfectionism and highly analytical minds. And I never expect any more of others than I do of myself and can attest to the true meaning of work and achievement. Time is also important to me and I know life is to be lived to the fullest.

Is the glass half empty or half full?
Trick question it’s neither. It’s always full. Even with half water, the top end has air in it.


If you were reincarnated as an animal/drink/ice cream flavor, what would it be?
I’d like to come back as a tiger simply because they are badass! A peach schnapps and rocky road because they are my favorites!

If you could live anywhere in the world for a year, where would it be?
Tuscany, Italy; the most beautiful region in Italy. Although if I ever got the chance I don’t think I’d ever come home again!

If you knew you could try anything and not fail, what dream would you attempt?
I’d become a ballerina. I never thought that would work for me though because I like food and I love my hips and there is no way I could ever balance all 145 pounds of my weight on the tips of my toes! But I think it was every girl’s dream at some point or another.

What was one of the best parties you’ve ever been to?
There’s a few that are worth mentioning. Hmm Nicole Richie’s and Christina Aguilera’s bachelorette parties in Cabo and Kim K’s lingerie party. I think it’s a basic requirement with celebrities these days to host a lingerie party. They’re pretty fun!

Cowboys or Indians: which did you pretend to be as a child?
Neither. I was the damsel in distress waiting on the cowboy in the white hat (looking at you Jeremy Jacobs) to come and rescue me. He was my first kiss when I was in elementary and my date to the junior prom.


What super-power would you most like to have, and why?
Oh good question. Hmm…I think that’s a toss-up between the ability to freeze time and teleportation. If I could teleport wherever I wanted, whenever I needed then I’d never need to fly again and trust me that’s a plus. But I think it would be so awesome to be able to freeze time too. Like when you are in the perfect moment at the perfect time and just want it to last forever. That would rock!

If you could choose anyone, who would you pick as your mentor?
Meryl Streep. She is the most amazing actress ever! Smart, talented, funny, beautiful she can play a character and make it believable! On top of that she NEVER plays the same character, she is just completely flexible and just…sophisticated. I’m WOWED by her. She is acting personified in my very humble opinion. I think if she taught then every actress under her tutelage would take home every award every year. I don’t think I can name a single film of hers I’ve not been inspired by.

If you could witness any event past, present or future, what would it be?
Hmm past, Woodstock or my parent’s wedding. Present well the first Black President in office was historical enough for me. And future? I want to see if it’ll really be like living in the cartoon the Jetsons and what my children will look like when they reach 50. I guess I need to have some first though.

If you were immortal for a day, what would you do?
Play with a tiger in the wilds of India! I LOVE tigers and I think it would be really neat to live with them for a day without worrying about being mauled to death!

What is your favorite body part?
My lips and my toes. On my guy, his arms. God I just can’t stop wrapping myself in them.


What is your favorite movie?
The Usual Suspects, Equilibrium or anything with Chris Hemsworth in it, MEOW!

If you met yourself would you be friends?
Yes and we’d be in so much trouble! Shoe shopping, my BIGGEST weakness, would have us in debt up to our eyeballs! Although my habit of correcting others when they speak might annoy the shit out of me! Also my need to have the last word and perfectionist attitude. Hmm…can I rethink my answer?

What animal are you most like?
A cat. I’m sweet and cuddly and very active! I love to curl up in a ball with someone special and have my head rubbed until I fall asleep or just snuggle. I can be the kindest and softest purring feline if pet right, but piss me off and you’ll see my claws.

What's your favorite curse word?
Fuck. It just hits home every time. BUT if you’re in the heat of an argument ending with the word “bitch” is preferred haha.


What’s your least favorite mode of transportation?
Flying. I cannot stand being in an airplane which really sucks for me because there are so many locales where After Midnight is filmed that has us constantly on the move. It’s seriously the scariest thing ever. What’s worse is my very first flight ever we had turbulence. Talk about a white knuckle experience. When I walked into the terminal after the plane arrived to our destination, my eyes were dilated, my hair was whiter than snow and I was mumbling nonsense until I felt my feet touch solid ground. If I never had to get on a plane again I’d be happy.

If you could paint a picture of any scenery you’ve seen before, what would you paint?
Paris at night or at sundown with a view of the Eiffel Tower. The city just looks spectacular when it’s all lit up!

If you won the lottery, what is the first thing you would do?
Donate to charity. Domestic abuse, cures for children and animal abuse I think are some of the noblest causes. 

Do you like to cook?
If by ‘cook’ you mean eat out then yes, I do it as often as possible. Honestly I don’t enjoy it at all though. I would much rather hire a 5-star chef or keep my favorite foods on speed dial. Luckily for me though I am in a relationship with a man whose recipe book and food knowledge would bring you to your knees!

When was the last time you had an amazing meal?
Thursday night. My fiancé cooked, as he enjoys doing, a to-die-for seafood platter. Mmm Grilled Chilean Sea Bass served on a bed of Garlic Lemon Green Beans, Chopped Tomatoes and Brown Rice. As simple as it sounds it was completely mouth watering, every single bite! It’s a mix of butter, chopped garlic cloves, parsley, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, lemon pepper and sea salt to taste that just simply melts in your mouth!   


What is your favorite form of exercise?
Barefoot jogging on the beach. The sand helps add resistance when you’re running and I love doing it during the spring. Not only do I get a great view come sunrise but there are very few people out there to bother me because of the cool weather.

What is your favorite time of day/day of the week/month of the year?
My favorite time of day is early morning before sunrise. I can think more in the quiet hours of morning. My favorite day of the week is Sunday, things just seem simpler and calm on Sundays; rainy Sundays are even better. My favorite month of the year? Hmm…October. It has the best weather I think, not too hot, not too cold plus Halloween and I love that holiday. It’s the best time of the year!

If you could learn to do anything, what would it be?
Hmm I would want to be an acrobat in Cirque Du Soleil. I’ve always been so very impressed with the talent in that show!

If you had to work on only one project for the next year, what would it be?
I’ve been trying to write as they say “the great American novel” and I haven’t had as much time as I would like to get all of my ideas together and the book completed. As an actress much of my time is spent on location, remembering lines, running from point A to point B that a quiet moment is few and far between. I’d take the time to complete my book!


Have you ever met a famous person?
Not one that I liked, don’t tell my co-stars I said that. No I’m kidding. I’ve met several. Although I had a total fangirl moment when I got to see Madonna live in concert and hit the backstage for a personal one-on-one. She was my biggest idol growing up. Other than that, I’ve met quite a few movie stars at premieres and such and I have to say many of Hollywood’s leading men are surprisingly much shorter in person!

What cartoon character best describes you?
Oh gosh haha um…wow. Well I don’t know. I think I’m like a Daria blended with Supergirl and maybe a bit of Jessica Rabbit mixed in; sarcastic, strong and sexy.

Do you have any closing words?
Life is short, seize the day!

Thank you for coming out to speak to us today!
Thank you for having me!

Stay tuned! There are more interviews to come with the cast of After Midnight!

6 comments:

  1. Fun. I really like these interviews. They are fun and I like the behind the scene aspect of them. My favorite was her cussing question. She was not wrong about that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are fun! It's nice seeing and hearing the "stars" as actors and real people. Haha I couldn't agree more. Plus it also drives home the point when you slap the person *glances at husband*. Although THAT can lead to bigger issues!

      Delete
  2. I love these! I think I would enjoy hanging out with Kaya!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha if you're a shopper the both of you would be in a world of trouble! I don't think she has any more closet space but who knows, she could probably buy a whole house to store shoes in!

      Delete
  3. OMG ... 2,300 pairs of shoes?!? That's bananas! LOL.

    I have a question for Kaya --> Does your fiance ever get jealous of all the love scenes with your handsome co-stars? 'Cause a dude's gotta be pretty secure in his manhood not to be jealous of Caleb & Rafe. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah she has a small problem lol!

      Great question! Kaya answers, "I am blessed to have such an understanding and devoted fiancé that this is never an issue between us. He is also an actor and knows the demands of the profession."

      Delete