Wednesday, December 31, 2014

After Hours: Loretta Coleman


What did you do to prepare yourself for the role of “Loretta Coleman” in the series Cold Blooded?
I watched a lot of Bewitched. I’m not even kidding. I wanted to model “Loretta” after the character Endora (Samantha’s mother) of that series. She was a strong and powerful witch but also kind and loving. I loved her quirkiness the most I think. I wanted Loretta to be just as fun and just as strong but also I wanted to show her level of um…cunning as well. I needed her to have a small, very miniscule sliver of evil to her too.  

What’s surprised you the most about being selected for this role?
Being able to stay in Florida. I’ve been in several series that has required me to travel to various locales and in a small few instances, uproot completely. Cold Blooded has afforded me the ability to stay where I am because it’s filmed in a few places around the state that aren’t too difficult to travel. 


What’s the biggest myth about playing a witch in Cold Blooded?
That all magic is good or evil. In Cold Blooded we will come to learn that magic is what you make it and while it can be dark, that is a direct reflection of the user’s soul and not the power itself.

What’s the most challenging part about playing a “witch”?
Learning the correct way to pronounce the Latin phrases used in a lot of the incantations. I love that the show is trying for authenticity in its spells and potions and as the series progresses, we’re going to see a lot more spells and a lot more magic. Victoria Carson is finally coming into her own as a witch, with the help of her loving grandmother, of course. And pretty soon, she’ll be doing some really amazing things! 


What seems to be the biggest obstacle for “Loretta Coleman”?
I think it’s the same trap that seems to get everyone else on the show; her own vanity. Loretta has kept a great many secrets from the people she loves, her granddaughter especially. And I think it’s due to the fact that she doesn’t want to feel useless and she doesn’t want to appear vulnerable. So she keeps things from Victoria and she uses what she knows about Derrick to hide things from him as well. Every character on the show, I feel, is guilty of this at some point or another.

Are there any spoilers you can reveal to us concerning “Loretta Coleman”?
Hmm. Well, there is a HUGE bomb that will drop from Loretta’s closet of skeletons that I don’t think Victoria or Derrick are prepared for. In fact, Loretta may be in a bit of shock when the past comes knocking and there’s nothing she can do about it!

What do you love about being an actress?
Entertaining! I enjoy standing in front of an audience, whether it be in front of a camera or on stage at Broadway. But my passion is the ability to entertain the people who come to watch the show. I love, love, LOVE that I can make the audience laugh, cry or even get angry at me. It means I’m doing my job well.


How do you handle negative criticism and rumors?
You just have to learn to develop a thick skin. In this business, you will meet all kinds; many of whom will not have your best interests at heart. You just have to know who to trust and who not to and how to ignore the critics when they tell you ‘You’re not good enough’. No one should have the power to bring you to tears. No one!

What is your greatest fear?
Spiders, I guess they call that arachnophobia. But I am deathly afraid of those disgusting, crawling critters. There was this show I watched called Creepshow that made a lot of my nightmares into reality, well…at least visually speaking. I remember this one segment where this man was afraid of cock roaches and lived in a sterile, white apartment with glass everything that he kept sparkling clean. He hated roaches so of course his death was a million of them eating him alive. I’d always had a nightmare about that, replacing the roaches with spiders. *Shivers*


How many times did you move as a child?
Three. We were living in a very small apartment before I was born. And as my mother told me, my father got a once in a life time opportunity with his company that he couldn’t refuse. He moved to Philadelphia to find us a place to live and sent for us a few months later. Sadly, the company went under a few years later and we had to move back to Queens to stay with his parents for a short while before finally settling in Tampa.

Who has had the most influence in your life?
My children. When I first became a mother, I found that I’d started taking roles in which I would not be ashamed for my kids to see me. They changed my entire perspective on acting and how I presented myself. I love them all dearly and I am very proud to say there is not a day that goes by that I regret allowing them to shape my career.

Who do you respect the most?
Every hard working actor or actress who has yet to get that ‘big break’. It takes determination and sheer willpower to continue going even though the most you can get as bit roles. I respect every artist, no matter their profession, who continue believing in themselves and striving to get where they want to in life. It’s never easy but hard work is the foundation for success.


What are you best at?
Cooking. I love to bake. Anyone would tell you my chocolate chip cookies are the best they’ve ever tasted. A lot of people have even tried to goad me into making it a small franchise like Nestlé’s homemade. Much of the baking on the series is real. The actors on set LOVE the episodes where the script has Loretta in the kitchen because they get to eat the fruits of that labor.

Have you ever lived in another country?
No. I’ve visited quite a few places but I’ve never actually took up residence.

What's your favorite food?
Homemade Apple Pie.

How many close friends do you have?
Three. Diana and I grew up together in New York, went to college together and had our first babies together. Michelle and Rhonda came along shortly after my first got to middle school and I became really active in the PTA. The three of us are as thick as thieves.


What is your favorite movie?
Steel Magnolias. It makes me cry every single time.

What's your zodiac sign?
Pisces. I was born on March 5th.

If you could learn to do anything, what would it be?
I’d have to say, paint. I’ve always been fond of the art and envious of those who can create such beautiful masterpieces so effortlessly. I’d love to learn how but I don’t think I have any talent whatsoever.

What sound do you love?
A baby’s laugh. It’s the most innocent and beautiful sound in the world.

What’s your least favorite mode of transportation?
Driving. I hate driving ANYWHERE! It seems slow and dreadful, every time I get behind the wheel I’m hoping it’s a quick stop before I’m home again. I think it’s because of the cross country driving my family did when I was growing up. Either way, I prefer to fly. 


Where are you from?
I was born in New York City, New York but raised in a few places. My family finally settled in Florida and that is where I chose to stay.

What was your favorite food when you were a child?
Macaroni and cheese; not that boxed stuff, the homemade kind. I swear I couldn’t get enough of the stuff. I’m sure my Mom appreciated it. It was a quick, simple meal that I’d request no matter the season, time of day or occasion.

What’s the #1 most played song on your iPod?
Respect by Aretha Franklin and anything by Diana Ross and the Supremes.

If you met yourself would you be friends?
I’d like to think so.

What super-power would you most like to have, and why?
The ability to clone myself. That way, I’d have more time to do the things I really enjoy.


Have you ever had your heart broken?
Once. My first husband. He wasn’t as faithful as he’d pledged and I learned that the hard way. After that, I met my second husband on a cruise I was meant to take with the first and have been with him for 47 years now.

What are your favorite alcoholic drinks?
Abuelo or Bacardi Rum and Coke and Bailey’s Irish Crème. Guilty pleasure, I love Bailey’s in pretty much everything. Coffee, tea, desserts; it’s one of the most versatile and best tasting liqueurs in the world. Both Rum and Irish Crème have that soothing effect that warms completely from the inside out.

What is the most embarrassing situation you’ve ever had?
On the set of Marlow and Me, a series I did when I first got to Hollywood, I had an accident that became the face of my career. There was a scene where I was supposed to come down this long flight of stairs and enter the living room in a fairly showy manner. I was wearing a pair of strappy heel and this glamorous high cut gown with a bridal train that practically tripped me up every time I moved. Well, as I was making my way down the stairs, a light from one of the cameras reflected on the mirror beside the staircase, temporarily blinding me. I ended up toppling head over heels down the last few steps and landing face first on the carpet below. Later on I learned the Director decided to keep the scene in the final cut, even editing it into the intro clips. The entire nation got to see my panties as I fell on my ass again and again.


If you were a type of food, what type of food would you be?
Hmm, interesting question. Um, I would have to say, Chicken Soup. Being maternal as I am, I’d like to think I would make a great comfort food as well.

Do you have any closing words?
Follow your dreams, no matter where they lead you.

Thank you for coming out to speak to us today!
Thank you for inviting me. It’s been an honor sitting on this couch!

Stay tuned! There are more interviews to come with the cast of Cold Blooded!

2 comments:

  1. aww look at Granny. That was an odd question, what kind of food would you be? Like her answer though. Now I'm ready for you to get back to writing so I can know what that big secret is.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey I don't pick the questions! Well ok, maybe I do. BUT they come from a long list of questions that I randomly select from. So... :D

      I need to get back to it you're right. Maybe the new year will bring some luck. I did have my black eyed peas :)

      Delete