Tuesday, December 30, 2014

After Hours: Nicholas DeLong


What did you do to prepare yourself for the role of “Nicholas DeLong” in the series Beauty?
I don’t think I’m a method actor but I do like to think I am able to transform myself into the role of the character; I like to become the character. For ‘Nick’, I became a support system. I worked on becoming a person who was loyal and understanding of something the lead role of ‘Blake Foster’ was going through. I mean it’s hard to be a friend to someone who basically has admitted to becoming some supernatural, unstoppable killing machine. So I worked on believability of ‘Nick’s’ acceptance to the situation and did as I thought he would having been the wolf’s closest friend. And I also wanted to maintain a sort of humorous edge to him. He was a bit of comic relief, something I think that helped ‘Blake’ feel comfortable as the wolf around someone he’d known his entire life.

What’s surprised you the most about being selected for this role?
The fact that I had auditioned for the role of ‘Blake’. Interesting story. I went into the studio with my script in hand, after about a week of rehearsing the lines for ‘Blake Foster’, I stepped in front of the director and the casting staff and stared reciting the lines. After about a twenty minute reading, they thanked me and as I started to leave, Beth, the casting director, asked me to come back and try the reading as the best friend. They instantly loved it and I was cast on the spot as ‘Nicholas DeLong’. 


What seemed to be the biggest obstacle for “Nicholas DeLong”?
‘Nick’ didn’t seem to have very many pitfalls. After the death, or believed death, of his best friend, he did what he could to pick up the pieces and help his mother move on. They became close; in fact she treated ‘Nick’ like her own son.

What was the most challenging part about playing the best friend of a “werewolf”?
Vacuuming up all the fur. No really, it was an interesting role. I think the most challenging part was being able to keep him grounded when the wolf took over. It was the role of the best friend to make sure ‘Blake’ kept his head on straight. I must admit, it was nice not having to get into that makeup every single time we filmed but, I don’t know, it might have been cool to play the wolf as well. Being the one who had to pick up the pieces when he ‘died’ though, that was hard. Calling all those emotions forward. There were times when Jewel, Blake’s mother, cried and cried and I found it difficult, at times, to comfort her. But I loved every moment I was on the show. It was a lot of fun and I’d do it again in a heartbeat. 


How has life been since the curtains closed on the set of Beauty?
Busy. I’ve moved on to a new series called The Coliseum. It’s based in Ancient Rome and focuses on gladiatorial sporting and the rise of the civilization that produced some of the world’s greatest heroes. Also incorporated are the mythologies of Roman gods and goddesses. I play Gaius Cornelius Varus, the son of a Lanista whose family owns the largest ludus in Rome.

How do you handle negative criticism and rumors?
Honestly, it’s difficult to ignore and really hard to say that you can keep a thick skin when it comes to that kind of stuff. Because the more you hear something, the more likely you are to start believing it. I guess I handle it like most anyone else. I hear it, read it, see it and try to get past it. While it might get me down sometimes, I don’t let it define who I am as a person. I try to remember that the people who make those kinds of comments don’t know me personally and are judging me solely based on a movie or TV show they saw where I was pretending to be someone else, or in other words, acting.


What is your favorite flavor?
Grape.

If a genie granted you three wishes, what would you wish for?
1. My very own private island. I’ve always thought the idea was neat.
2. More lead roles in blockbuster movies. Not knocking my career but, I’d like to do more.
3. A new skill of some sort; something artsy like painting. I do photography but I’d like to work with my hands a little more.

What is your favorite color?
Blue.


Which celebrity do you get mistaken for?
It’s actually never happened. But, if it does, I’d like to think it would be someone like Brad Pitt or Colin Farrell.

If you could be any character in fiction, who would you be?
I’ve always been a huge history buff. If I were lucky enough in my career, I’d love the opportunity to portray some important figure from out of the pages of a history book. Napoleon, Thomas Jefferson, Charles Darwin, Thomas Edison or even Mark Twain.


If you had only six months left to live, what would you do with the time?
Take a tour of the countries I have not yet visited, taking as much of my family with me as I can. Experience as much new culture as possible and say my goodbyes, something I think is the most precious.

What is your motto in life?
Carpe Diem! Live in the moment, because you never know when it’ll be your last.

What's under your bed?
Hopefully nothing. I hire a cleaning service because otherwise, mold would probably grow out of my laundry basket. So if they’ve done their job right, my house is spotless!

What's your favorite number?
18. I’ll give you one guess why! *Winks*


What is your favorite sport to watch?
Basketball.

Do you eat the stems of your broccoli?
Sure. As long as they are smothered in cheese. I’m not a fan of most vegetables.

Have you ever slept with a co-star?
I’m not really a kiss and tell kind of guy, but I have had my share of trysts.

Do you like to drive fast?
Oh absolutely. By the time I was out of high school, I’d already been pulled over more times than I can count. Luckily, I was able to talk myself out of most of the tickets, but, my Mom found out about one and I was read the riot act and had my keys confiscated for a week. 


If you dyed your hair, what color would you pick?
Um…well…I’m not sure. Blue is my favorite color but I’m not sure it’ll look good on me. Red maybe? And maybe not the whole head but streaks of some sort; highlights.

What’s your cell phone’s ringtone?
For calls I don’t know, it’s that standard jingle that comes with every cell phone in existence. I only change the ringer for people I know and it’s ‘Low Rider’ by War.

Boxers or Briefs?
Boxers. I like to let my boys breathe.


Would you rather take pictures or be in pictures?
Hmm…both. I think it’s great to take pictures, as many as possible, when you’re young and pretty; for posterity. I also love taking them as reminders of where I’ve been and who I’ve met along the way. They are nice, little sentimental objects when you have moments of reflection.

Do you like to cook?
I do not. It’s not really my favorite of ‘chores’. I’m not gonna pretend to be the kind of man who is great in the sack and in the kitchen. I can cook, not saying I’m helpless or anything. But if you’re looking for a 5-star chef then you’ve come to the wrong place. I can make the basics and that’s about it. I mean, hotdogs, hamburgers, mostly anything that doesn’t require forethought or preparation, I’m there.


What was your best job?
The one I’m doing currently. I love acting and everything it means. Being someone new every time I step in front of a camera, traveling to interesting places, meeting new people; it’s a great benefit ON TOP of doing what I love. And the free stuff from promoters never hurts either!

Where do you currently reside?
New York. More accurately, I have a penthouse in Manhattan with a view of Central Park.

What was the first thing you bought with your own money?
A Mustang Convertible. My parents told me that I could get ONE thing until I was old enough to really care for my finances. And since I was 15 and had my driving permit on the way to my license, I decided to get myself a car. My Dad was behind me all the way, Mom on the other hand FREAKED when I told her what I wanted. I didn’t get it when I got my license. They made me wait until my 16th birthday in order to teach me the value of what I was getting and the major responsibility that came with a sports car. But in the end, I got the car.


Do you have a special talent?
I do, but it’s not something I can demonstrate at this time.

When was the last time you were nervous?
The first time I asked a girl out on a date. 8th grade social, Rebecca Taylor. She was the most popular girl in school and I was a bit of a social outcast. I know I don’t look it now, but I was overweight, wore glasses, had braces and was a bit of a dork. BUT she actually said yes, to this day I don’t know why. But we went to the dance and I had the best night of my life with her. We ‘dated’ until high school, 10th grade, and she left me for a senior. Shortly after that, I ditched the glasses for contacts, lost the weight and the braces and was driving around in a Mustang convertible; red with black leather interior. I’d landed my first gig, a commercial for a local restaurant and had some ‘fun money’. Needless to say, Rebecca regretted having let me go.


Do you prefer television or a computer?
Neither. I prefer my iPhone. But if I had to choose between the two, computer. There’s WAY more to do online than over a DVR/Satellite.

Do you have any closing words?
I’m sad the interview has come to a close. I’d like to thank my fans for their continued support and also my co-stars and the crew. Without the constant hard work of everyone behind the scenes, most of the ‘movie magic’ would not exist!


Thank you for coming out to speak to us today!
And thank you for inviting me. It’s been a blast! And I’ve really enjoyed the opportunity to be here today.

Stay tuned! There are more interviews to come with the cast of Beauty!

2 comments:

  1. LOL 18....would that have any indication of the 'DeLong' in his name??? LOL still laugh when I think about that. I like his interview. He's funny and very down to earth. Honest too, on the cooking and cleaning. Such a guy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha perhaps :P Who knows with Nick. He is usually all about innuendo though. He really is a sweet guy and seems to have his head in the right place.

      Delete